Kanazawa Castle Park

History of the Kanazawa Castle Park

1546 Kanazawa Mido, a religious school, was founded on the site.
1580 Shibata Katsuie conquered Kanazawa Mido. Sakuma Morimasa entered the castle, and named it Oyama Castle.
1583 After the Shizugatake Battle, Maeda Toshiie entered the castle, and named it Kanazawa Castle.
1592 Toshiie ordered Toshinaga to build stonewalls around the castle.
1599 The inside moat was finished.
1602 The donjon, main watchtower, was burned down by lightning.
1610 The outside moat was finished.
1620 The castle was partly destroyed by a fire.
1631 The castle was again partly destroyed by fire.
1632 The Tatsumi Canal was built through the castle.
1759 A big fired destroyed almost the whole castle.
1788 Hishi Yagura at Ni-no-maru, the second enclosure, and the Ishikawa-mon gate were finished.
1808 The Ni-no-maru Palace was burned down.
1809 The Hashizume-mon gate, and Hishi Yagura at Ni-no-maru were finished.
1858 Sanjukken Nagaya was built.
1871 The castle site was requisitioned by the army.
1881 A big fire destroyed Ni-no-maru.
1949 Kanazawa University was founded.
1950 The Ishikawa-mon gate became an Important National Cultural Asset.
1957 Sanjukken Nagaya became an Important National Cultural Asset.
1978 Kanazawa University decided to move out of the castle site.
1996 Ishikawa Prefecture bought the castle site from the national government, and started a park building project.
1999 The reconstruction project of Hishi Yagura, and other sites began.
2001 The 18th National Urban Greenery Fair Ishikawa 2001.
2008 Tsurumaru-soko storage designated as an Important National Cultural Asset.
2008 Kanazawa Castle designated as a National Historical Site.
2010 Imori Moat and Kahoku-mon Completed.