Ni-no-maru (the second enclosure)
Ni-no-maru, which has a circumference of 530 meters, was an enclosure located at the center of the castle. After Maeda Toshiie entered the castle, the lord and his family lived at Hon-maru. At that time, the province vassals’ mansions were located at Ni-no-maru, San-no-maru, Nishi-no-maru, and Kita-no-maru. However, after the donjon was burned down in 1602, the functions of feudal government were centralized at Ni-no-maru. Accordingly, the Ni-no-maru Palace was re-constructed as the lords residence. This gorgeous palace lasted for over 120 years, but a big fire in 1759 destroyed it together with almost all the buildings at the castle. After that, Ni-no-maru Palace was rebuilt, and stood glorious as the center of the feudal government until it was finally burned down in 1881.