The Imori moat was once an outer moat surrounding the southwest part of Kanazawa Castle. In 1907, however, the upper part of the moat was flattened and the moat reclaimed by the Imperial Japanese Army. The site then served as army land, and, after World War II, as tennis courts.
During the Edo period, the moat spanned some 40 meters at its widest portions, had a depth of more than 10 meters, and was filled with water. Its tamped slopes inclined at a relatively gentle gradient, and the stone walls of the Riko Yaguradai watchtower rose to form its southeastern limit.