In ancient times, Gyokusen'inmaru was known as “Nishi no Maru” (“Western Compound”), and contained a retainer’s mansion. In the 19th year of the Keicho Era (1614), after 2nd-generation feudal lord Maeda Toshinaga died in Takaoka, his wife Gyokusenin (“Ei-hime”) shaved her head and returned to Kanazawa and then, her mansion was constructed and given the name “Gyokusen'inmaru”.
After the death of Gyokusenin in the 9th year of the Genna Era (1623), the land became vacant, but in the 11th year of the Kan’ei Era (1634), the 3rd-generation feudal lord Toshitsune invited landscapers from the Miyako (Kyoto) and ordered garden shrubs and stones from various regions, creating a large-scale garden. In the 1st year of the Kanbun Era (1661) and then again in the 1st year of the Ganroku Era (1688), the 5th-generation feudal lord Tsunanori also implemented further renovations, thus advancing the redevelopment of the garden.
From the Meiji Period on, the pond was filled in along with the upgrade in military facilities, and until recent years the land was used as the grounds for the prefectural gymnasium.