Kanazawa Mido, a religious school founded in 1546, was controlled by local priests, and those from Honganji Temple. Sakuma Morimasa later overran it and occupied it from 1580 to 1583. He tried to improve the castle town structure of Kanazawa and started building the Hyakken Moat.
After Sakuma, Maeda Toshiie came down from Noto and took control of Kanazawa Castle. In fact, he was almost always away from this castle until he died in 1599, because he was working in Kyoto or Osaka as an important liegeman of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. After that, fourteen lords of the Maeda family lived in the castle until the Meiji Restoration. During the Maeda reign, many buildings of the castle were repeatedly burned down and rebuilt.