|1546||Kanazawa Mido fortress-temple founded.|
|1580||Katsuie Shibata captures the temple.
Morimasa Sakuma makes a triumphal entry into the castle (the temple site).
|1583||Toshiie Maeda, the founder of the Kaga Domain, makes a triumphal entry into Kanazawa Castle after the Battle of Shizugatake.|
|1592||Toshiie orders his son, Toshinaga to build the stone foundation for the Castle.|
|1599||Inner moats built.|
|1602||The main keep tower destroyed by lightning.|
|1610||Outer moats built.|
|1620||The Castle destroyed by fire.|
|1631||The Castle destroyed by fire started in town.|
|1632||Construction of Tatsumi-yosui canal completed. Water sent to the Castle.|
|1759||The Castle completely burns down by fires started outside the castle.|
|1787||Construction of Hishi-yagura, a turret built on a diamond base in the secondary enclosure and Ishikawa-mon gate completed.|
|1808||The palace in the secondary enclosure completely burns down by fire.
|1809||Construction of Hashizume-mon and Hishi-yagura in the second enclosure completed.|
|1858||Construction of Sanjukken-nagaya completed.|
|1871||The Castle falls under the control of Ministry of War.
|1881||Buildings in the secondary enclosure completely burns down by fire started in Kanazawa.|
|1949||Kanazawa University opens on the castle site.|
|1950||Ishikawa-mon gate designated as an Important National Cultural Asset.
|1957||Sanjukken-nagaya designated as an Important National Cultural Asset.|
|1978||Moving Kanazawa University campus out of the castle site decided (Relocation completed in 1995).|
|1996||Ishikawa prefectural government acquires the castle site and starts to develop it as Kanazawa Castle Park.|
|1999||Reconstruction of Hishi-yagura and other destroyed castle buildings starts (completed in July, 2001).|
|2001||Japan Green City Fair in Ishikawa held. “Toshiie and Matsu” Kaga Hyakumangoku Exhibition held.|
|2008||Tsurumaru-soko storage designated as an Important National Cultural Asset.|
|2008||Kanazawa Castle designated as a National Historical
|1596||A Ming Confucian invited by Toshinaga, the second lord of the Kaga Domain, and lives in Renchi garden.|
|1601||Tamahime, the granddaughter of Ieyasu Tokugawa (the founder of Tokugawa Shogunate) moves to Kanazawa from Edo(Tokyo) to marry the third lord Toshitune.
Edo residence built in Renchi garden for Tamahime’s servants.
|1622||Tamahime dies. Her servants return to Edo. Edo residence abandoned.|
|1632||Construction of Tatsumi-yosui canal completed.
|1659||Construction office in the castle moved to the former Edo residence in Renchi garden.|
|1676||The fifth lord Tsunanori relocats the construction office in Renchi garden back to the castle grounds to construct a villa on the vacant lot. A garden built around the villa.
It is the beginning of Kenroku-en garden development.
|1686||Tsunanori holds an autumn full moon viewing banquet at the villa inviting Honda Awa-no-kami and his three old retainers.|
|1759||Renchi villa destroyed by great fires started outside the castle.
|1774||The 11th lord Harunaga reconstructs Renchi garden.
Construction of Yugao-tei tea house and Midori-taki waterfall completed.
|1792||Domain school established in Kenroku-en.|
|1819||The 12th lord Narihiro relocates the school and starts to build Tekezawa villa on the site.|
|1822||Takezawa villa completed. The signboard “Kenroku-en” written in Sadanobu Matsudaira’s own hand delivered.
The name “Kenroku-en” assumed to have been given in this year.
|1824||Narinaga dies at Takezawa villa.|
|1837||The 13th lord Nariyasu extends Kasumiga-ike pond.
Kenroku-en developed to almost what it is today by Nariyasu.
|1839||Three-storied roof-like stone pagoda completed on the Sazae-yama hill.|
|1851||All Takezawa villa knocked down.|
|1863||Nariyasu built Tatsumi villa for his retired mother, Shinryuin.|
|1871||Residence for a Prussian mining scholar built at the foot of Yamazaki-yama hill. Kenroku-en tentatively opened to the public for the first time.|
|1872||Kenroku-en fully opened to the public.|
|1874||Kenroku-en approved as a park by the Ministry of State.
Kenroku-en officially opened to the public in May as the Ishikawa prefectural park.
|1880||Meiji Monument erected.|
|1922||Kenroku-en designated a Site of Scenic Beauty in March under the name “Kanazawa Park”.|
|1924||The name “Kanazawa Park” taken back to “Kenroku-en” in March.|
|1928||Kiku-zakura, the first Kenroku-en chrysanthemum cherry tree, designated as a National Natural Treasure.|
|1938||Seison-kaku villa designated as a National Treasure.|
|1950||Seison-kaku villa opened to the public with entrance fee system introduced.
The villa designated as an Important National Cultural Asset under the “Cultural Asset Protection Law.”
|1969||Plum garden developed on the site of the former Hasegawa’s residence in Kenroku-en on the 100th anniversary since Meiji Restoration.|
|1976||Entrance fee system introduced for Kenroku-en.|
|1985||Kenroku-en designated as a National Site of Special Scenic Beauty.|
|2000||Hase Pond and Shigure-tei tea house completed.|